EnBW and Enbridge continue their successful cooperation with the Albatros wind farm in the North Sea
June 08. 2017
Karlsruhe. Following the final decision on construction and investment taken by the Supervisory Board of EnBW at the beginning of May, the co-investor for the fourth EnBW offshore wind farm Albatros with a capacity of 112 megawatts has now been announced: As with the EnBW Hohe See offshore wind farm, the Canadian energy infrastructure company Enbridge Inc. will acquire 49.89 percent of the shares in EnBW Albatros, while EnBW will retain the remaining 50.1 percent.
As a result, EnBW and Enbridge have expanded their cooperation to include a second offshore project and will now jointly realise both projects – EnBW Hohe See and EnBW Albatros – together. The agreed participation model envisages that both partners will jointly oversee and finance the further realisation of the projects from construction through to commissioning. EnBW will control and monitor all activities during the further realisation of the projects. Enbridge will co-develop the projects with its own employees who will be integrated into senior roles in the project team. EnBW will be responsible for the operational management and maintenance of the finished wind farms based on a long-term service and management contract.
Albatros is located in the so-called “exclusive economic zone” of the North Sea in the immediate vicinity of the EnBW wind farms Hohe See and He Dreiht on an area covering 11 square kilometres. Albatros will feature 16 turbines of type Siemens SWT-7.0-154 and will have an installed capacity of 112 megawatts. The project already has binding approval for connection to the grid and will now be constructed together with the Hohe See wind farm, which was approved in December 2016, to deliver a total capacity of 610 megawatts. After the scheduled commissioning of the wind farms in 2019, Hohe See and Albatros will together generate around 2.5 billion kilowatt hours of electricity annually. This energy will supply around 710,000 households and save around 1.9 million tonnes of CO2 per year. The electricity generated by Albatros and Hohe See will thus cover the aggregate electricity requirements of all private households in Munich – Germany’s third largest city.